The new year is a clean slate and a fresh start for millions of people. Surprisingly, only 41% of the population say they “always” make new year’s resolutions, 42% say they “never” make resolutions, and the last 17% give a vague “sometimes.” The fact is, people who make a resolution are 10 times more likely to achieve their goal. However, after 6 months less than half are still on track. Following are 10 common New Year’s Eve resolutions and tips to keep you on track throughout the new year.
1) Lose Weight The #1 resolution every year is to lose weight and eat healthier. The easiest way to do this is to clean out the junk and stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables. Prepping your food immediately when you get home makes it easy to grab a healthy snack when the cravings hit.
2) Exercise More Exercise is your key to a healthier life, but most people do not have time to go to the gym. Find 10 minutes in your day to add an activity. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park further away. Every little improvement each day will add up over time without taking a huge chunk out of your busy day.
3) Get More Sleep Set your cellphone for 30 minutes before your bedtime and use that time to rel.. Set yourself up for a successful night’s sleep by making it a priority. Remember, you can’t make up for lost sleep during the week by sleeping in on the weekends.
4) Get Organized Clean out the clutter in your home, office, and car. Break down the job into smaller, more manageable parts. This way you can see the progress everyday. Clearing out the physical clutter will help you mentally and emotionally.
5) Change Your Physical Appearance The quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to change your appearance is to change your hairstyle. Don’t be afraid to try a new color or cut. Even if the worst happens and you hate it, you know it will always grow back.
6) Stop Smoking Don’t expect this to be an easy or quick journey. Go into it knowing this will take a firm commitment. Get professional help if you need it Know that it will get easier as you go, and the end result is worth it
7) Drink More Water Remind yourself of all the health benefits of drinking water. Water will give you a better complexion, keep your intestinal tract moving, and help flush the toxins out of your body. Substitute water for sugary or artificial drinks and you could lose a few pounds as well.
8) Reduce Stress With our hectic lifestyles, stress has become a way of life. Set aside 20 minutes a day first thing in the morning to meditate. Meditation lowers your blood pressure and reduces your stress level. Take another meditation break whenever you feel overwhelmed and just concentrate on your breathing. Practice living in the moment, and appreciate the little things that make you happy.
9) Get Rid of Emotional Baggage Emotional baggage will drag you down, drain your energy, and keep you from reaching your full potential. “Regret it, then Forget it.” Acknowledge your shortcomings, learn your lesson, then move on
10) Get More Social Social networking makes it easier than ever to connect with other people. Take a class, join a book or movie club, or start your own group based on your interests. Surround yourself with people who have similar passions and hobbies and your will be surrounded by new friends.
Remember, set realistic goals and have a game plan to achieve them. Take small steps each day to develop new habits. Think about what a great feeling it will be when you can say “I did it!”